This section provides links to external activities – both educational and fun for your child. This section is updated frequently and grows organically from input from readers like you. Please provide suggestions to additional resources in the form at the bottom.
Here are some questions you might want to ask:
If your child has a Learning disability (LD) or needs academic instruction.
- Do they have 1:1 tutoring?
- Do they group by ability?
- Do they measure process? Do they do testing at the beginning and at the end of the program?
- Do they provide the parents with written feedback at the end of the academic program to pass on to the teacher in September?
- What is the teacher: student ratio. Are there additional helpers?
- What is the level of experience of the camp counselors? Do they train their counselors and helpers? (How do they handle social and behavioral issues?),
- Are students grouped by age (i.e. all 5th graders are together)? Is there flexibility?
- What information do they ask for on application forms (Most difficult time, what is the best way to handle your child, what does and doesn’t work for my child, etc.)?
- Do they foster team building vs. competition?
- Can parents communicate with the counselors at beginning or end of day, if necessary?
- What kinds of activities are there throughout the day? Do they mix physical activities, arts and craft as well as mental challenges?
- Does the student get to make choices about which activities they participate in?