This section provides links to external activities – both educational and fun This section grows organically from input from readers like you. We’d love your input. Please submmit your recreation suggestions by using the form at the bottom.
Below are some questions you might want to ask when inquiring about a camp:
- Do they have 1:1 tutoring?
- Do they group by ability?
- Do they measure progress? Do they do testing at the beginning and at the end of the program?
- Do they provide the parents with written feedback at the end of the academic program to pass on to the teacher in September?
- What is the teacher: student ratio. Are there additional helpers?
- What is the level of experience of the camp counselors? Do they train their counselors and helpers on how to handle social and behavioral issues?
- Are students grouped by age (i.e. all 5th graders are together)? Is there flexibility?
- What information do they ask for on application forms for example what is the most difficult time for your child, what is the best way to help your child when they are struggling or emotional, etc?
- Do they foster team building vs. competition?
- Can parents communicate with the counselors at the beginning or end of the day, if necessary?
- What kinds of activities are there throughout the day?
- Does the student get to make choices about which activities they participate in?